Research conducted by Brandon Hall Group and licensed for distribution by Glassdoor found that organizations with good onboarding processes boosted retention of new hires by 82%. In any organization, Human resource (HR) plays a vital role in making the employee onboarding process wonderful. The responsibility starts from the point where a new employee signs the contract and continues till the employee becomes part of the organization. But the employee onboarding process is challenging to navigate. From collecting the job resumes to handling the payroll application, it involves many applications of equal importance. There can be a lot of manual data entry and you may need to wait for approvals from senior managers or IT departments to move forward. This process is inefficient. The chances of errors are many. This is where intelligent automation comes in. It helps you streamline the employee onboarding process. The best thing is that the intelligent automation is built following the best practices. Meaning, after implementing intelligent automation in your organization, you will be automatically following the best practices in the employee onboarding process. The employee onboarding process sets the tone for the tenure of an employee. If the process is smooth, the employee is likely to stay longer. Intelligent automation streamlines your employee onboarding process by integrating different applications. When you decrease the manual interactions from an employee you decrease the chances of errors and inefficiencies. Your HR department can focus on more important talks like nurturing talent. Streamlining employee onboarding process also makes the new journey pleasant for new employees.
A Typical Employee Onboarding Checklist
- Pre-boarding Checklist
- Sending an email about the start date, timing and location
- Presenting the first-day schedule
- Remind about which documents to carry
- Dress code Contact person upon arrival
2. Setting Up New Employee’s Desk and Equipment
- Provide your new employee with office equipment like a laptop.
- Help them set up their IT systems
- Providing instructions as to how to use IT systems and equipment.
3. HR Checklist
- Discuss compensation and benefits
- Present work policies and benefits
- Fill up necessary forms and contracts
3 Examples of Streamlining Employee Onboarding Process with Intelligent Automation
Here are some of the common examples of how you can make your employee’s life pleasant.
1. Streamline Onboarding Applications with Intelligent Automation
Once your employee is marked as hired in your tracking system, you can start their employee onboarding process by doing the following activities.
- Create their profiles in human capital management software.
- Setup their profile in identity and access management system
- Sending an email that welcomes them to the company
- Setting up their accounts in various IT systems.
All these steps if done manually could take a lot of time. With intelligent automation, you can automate these tasks and these tasks will be done in a minute.
2. Provision Apps and Equipment
With intelligent automation, you can provision that can provision the bots to communicate between the communication platforms and your chat tools. This is how it could go:
- Once the employee is marked as hired, you can send a message to your managers asking them which application systems and equipment should be provisioned.
- The manager selects the apps via a chat
- Based on the selection, the bot creates a ticket in a platform like ServiceNow
- The bot notifies you once the request is approved.
3. Perform First Day Tasks
With intelligent automation, you can provide all the tasks performed on the first day of an employee to be automated.
- Inviting them to meetings
- Giving them badges to access company facilities
- Adding them to specific channels
Streamlining the Employee Onboarding Process with Popular Application Services
Take Collect, Store and Sync Employee Contracts and Information
Sync DocuSign with your HR App
The first step in the employee onboarding process is to officially offer them a job. The manual process is sending contracts is tedious. You have to manually create contacts, send it over and wait for their reply. This gets more inefficient if you are hiring a number of candidates. To streamline this part of the employee onboarding process, you can integrate DocuSign with your HR application like Workday and Taleo Oracle. As soon as the status is marked as “Hired” in your HR app, intelligent automation will automatically send a contract with all the necessary information to be filled. Another Recipe will keep an eye on the DocuSign app and as soon as the candidate sends back the document, the information will be added to your HR app. You will automatically receive an email or a message through slack informing about the completion of the task.
Store Contracts with Slack and Box
Streamlining contract procedure is one of the ways to automate the employee onboarding process, another is to intelligently store the contract information. Paperwork is important in large enterprises. When the DocuSign app receives the signed contract, the intelligent automation recipe will create the employee profile in a cloud storage app called Box. This way you can securely stored signed contracts and inform your managers of the hiring of the new employee and provide a link to the contact stored in Box through Slack.
Sync Employee Information between HR and Finance Apps
Payroll and finance management is an essential task in any enterprise. The employee information needs to be entered into various financial systems. This manual entry could lead to errors. Especially if there are many employees. With intelligent automation, you can sync finance apps with HR applications. Apps like NetSuite , ADP Payroll Systems and QuickBooks could be synced to update itself at regular intervals. You can also use the Trigger. Every time a new employee is added to an HR app like Workday, a new ID will be automatically created with NetSuite.
Collect Feedback about Employee Onboarding Process through SurveyMonkey
Tag management could be deployed to any industry including eCommerce, fashion, retail. You could hire tag management solutions or even deploy the system with an in-house team. No matter what you choose, these are the steps you need to follow in order to deploy tag management tools.
1. Analyze Your tagging Needs: First, you need to determine what exactly you need to track. The needs may depend on various aspects like product listings, industry category, customer savviness and many other factors. Tag management experts will analyze your industry and based on their experience identify the best tags. You also need to brainstorm different tag management tools and choose the one suitable for you. This step will solidify your tag management strategy and foundation. Hence must be thoroughly done.
2. Selecting the Right Tag Management Solution: There are numerous tag management tools out there, You could any of those. But Google tag manager is one of the most popular ones. After the initial brainstorming session, you decide which is the right tool to go. You need to make sure the tool you choose can also accommodate your future needs.
3. Implementing a Data Layer Based Tag Management System: With the clutter that exist in normal business environments, you cannot just deploy basic tags. To perform advance user analysis, customer path and gain useful insights, you need custom based data layer implementation. With the data layer, it becomes easier for you to deploy any tool and define its data gathering definition. Also, it makes easier to share data among internal teams without any confusion.
4. Reporting and Post Implementation Maintenance: Before launching the tag management system on your website and application you need to test the hypothesis and see how it works out. This is done to avoid duplicate tags and misfires. Tags may change and hence you need to maintain a record of all the changes. Once this is done you need to maintain the system with periodic checking. The employee onboarding process is necessary to set the tone of your company’s culture. The way you deal with employees will matter in the long run. The first impression is the last impression. In this respect, employee feedback can really help you hone the employee onboarding process. With Intelligent Automation you can easily connect your HR application with SurveyMonkey. Using a recipe you can automatically send a survey form to your new employee and collect the information back into the HR application. You can tweak the recipe to send the surveys at regular interval.
Benefits of Streamlining the Employee Onboarding Process
Now that you know how your enterprise can leverage intelligent automation and streamline the employee onboarding process, you must be wondering about the benefits of doing so. Let’s list some of them here.
- Let’s your employees be productive from the first day. Access to important applications is introduced in the initial days of his employment.
- It increases the percentage of retention of the employees. It boosts employee retention by 80%.
- Creates a Good user experience. User Experience of new hires is important to establish the company’s culture. Streamlining the employee onboarding experience will smoothen the user experience.
- It gives you a competitive edge. When new hires witness how smooth the entire employee onboarding process is, it gives you a competitive edge over your competitors. The best talent in the industry would love to work with your organization.
- Make new hires advocate for your company. The best way to create a great team is to create a process which attracts good talent. A good employee onboarding process will make new hires a brand ambassador of your company.
4 Steps to Reinvent Your Employee Onboarding Process with Intelligent Automation
HR’s carry a lot of burden in making the employee onboarding process easy. But with intelligent automation, Human Resource could achieve this in a fairly and simplified manner. A simple onboarding involves a series of applications. Applications that could be integrated with intelligent automation. Here are 4 steps to Reinvent Your Employee Onboarding Process with Intelligent Automation.
Integration: All the steps in an employee onboarding process involve entering the employee information in a series of application. Manual entry could lead to errors. With intelligent automation, you can create an automation that could work on triggers. Once the information is filled in the HR applications, a simple trigger would activate the generation of ids in subsequent applications.
Automation: Many HR tasks are repeatable and could be automated. If you are hiring a number of employees, you could automate the process of creating their profiles, notifying the managers, access to laptops. Rule-based automation can help you set an intelligent automation process that will establish which application to be triggered based on the activity.
Orchestration: A new employee expects things to be done in a sequence. This includes automating the tasks updates on different applications. With intelligent automation, you could automate the approvals from different senior managers. Approvals regarding the application access and task updates without time delay.
Simplification: The whole point of intelligent automation is to simplify the onboarding process. HR’s can use the platforms created to simplify the hiring process. The best thing about intelligent automation is that it utilizes widely used apps like Microsoft Teams, Slack, DocuSign to create the automation. Employees could use the platform to complete tasks, execute approvals, and even co-ordinate with the management.
Sapper’s Employee Onboarding Solutions
This is how Sapper could help you streamline the employee onboarding process:
- Speed up the Hiring Process
- Keep track of all the onboarding tasks from start to finish
- Process management with notifications at important milestones
- A brilliant first-day experience
- Allow access to all the important applications through a single interface
Sapper is a pioneer in intelligent automation. Want to know more about Intelligent automation?
Transform your HR team with Employee Onboarding Solutions
See Sapper in Action! Unified, cloud-native automation platform for applications integration, data integration and AI/Bots integration.
Request Demo Now!